COUSIN CONNECT


Friday 23 May 2008

MUSIC and SILENCE BY ROSE TREMAIN

I chose this book for our Book Group selection this year, because as usual, you real the "blurb" about the book and think "that could be an interesting story".
The story starts out in 1629 when a young musician arrives in Denmark to join the orchestra in the court of King Christian IV.
From what I have read so far, there are many stories that appear to be woven into each other, and no doubt this will surface towards the end of the book.
But I must say, it hasn't grabbed me - that is, not a book that once you start reading you don't want to put down.
So I will plod on, and see if my interest gets awakened further.

I received in the mail yesterday, the latest publications from the Historical Novels Society. These publications are just wonderful, and my mother enjoys reading them when she comes for a visit. She always has a big list of books to get from her library when she goes home.

One of the articles in Solander is about the lure of Scottish romance. Diana Gabaldon comes into this category - her character Jamie is portrayed as a real hunk and everyone I know that has read this series, thinks along the same lines.
Another author mentioned in the article is Lois Greiman, whose book Bewitching the Highlander appeared iin 2007; also Karen Ranney - The Scottish Companion.
Will get onto the bookmooch site and browse for these authors.

An article also on Historical Fiction blogs - haven't ventured into these as yet, but that will change today, and there are quite a few that sound interesting.

My book group ladies will be interested as well, as whenever we read a historical novel, all of us try and picture the historical period and who was in power at the time etc.

No comments: