COUSIN CONNECT


Saturday 22 November 2008

RECIPE FOR ALMOND BREAD

I have just taken out of the oven, a tin of Almond Bread, and thought other people may like the recipe. This is sort of a bonus recipe for me, as when I make Ice Cream (which uses only the egg yolks, I am left with the egg whites). If I am not able to use them within a day or two, then I freeze the egg whites in a small container.

All you need for the recipe is:

3 egg whites
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 cup plain flour, sifted
125g whole unblanched almonds

Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry.
Gradually add sugar until mixture is a good meringue consistency.
Fold in flour and almonds
Spoon into a lightly greased loaf pan or nut loaf pans.
Bake in a moderate oven 180C for 35-40minutes depending on your oven
Leave in pan until completely cold.
Remove from pan
Wrap in foil and put aside for 1-2 days
Using a sharpknife, cut water thin slices (I have yet to master this thin)
Place slices on baking sheet
Place in a very slow oven 120C for 45 minutes to dry out thoroughly.

A variation of this can be made by substituting a mixture of Pistachios and Cranberries - very nice.

No comments: