COUSIN CONNECT


Friday 22 August 2008

THE ROBSART MYSTERY by Fiona BUCKLEY


This book is also known as TO SHIELD THE QUEEN
Rating 4
Set in England (era of Elizabeth 1 and Robert Dudley)

After reading The Proud Villeins by Valerie Annand, I knew that I would not be disappointed in this story, as Valerie also writes under the name of Fiona Buckley.

Our main character, Ursula Blanchard, is an impoverished young widow, who comes to court as one of the Queens Ladies, and gets caught up in the politics and intrigue of the court - especially when rumours abound of Robert Dudley trying to do away with his wife, Amy Robsart. Ursula is then asked to go and stay with Amy, to guarantee her safety.
Ultimately, Amy is found dead, lying at the bottom of the staircase of her home, with a broken neck, and Ursula is then set on a course to find out the truth, especially after her trusted servant, John Wilton is found murdered.

A great read, and once again, I come across William Cecil in the characters, as he was the Secretary of State in the reign of Elizabeth 1.
Cecil also features in another book I have read - The Firemasters Mistress, by Christie Dickason.

I have now ordered another book from my library, to follow on with the tale of Ursuala.(A Doublet Affair). A list of books as follows:

The Doublet Affair
Queens Ransom
To Ruin a Queen
Queen of Ambition
A Pawn for the Queen
the Fugitive Queen
The Siren Queen

I have to say, that once again, I would recommend this author.

TH

No comments: